It’s Keeping Up with the Sussexes!
Netflix will finally get its “pound of flesh” from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with an “at-home with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex-style” docuseries, Page Six can reveal.
Hollywood insiders are abuzz about the show, but while we’re told that Netflix chiefs would like the series by the end of the year to tie in Harry’s hotly-anticipated memoir, the Sussex camp would rather it air next year.
“The timing is still being discussed, things are up in the air,” said one producer in the know.
The Sussexes, who signed on for a multi-million deal with the streamer in 2020 after moving to the US, were followed by Netflix cameras when they went to the Netherlands last month for the Invictus Games — Harry’s global games for wounded and injured servicemen and women. Netflix is making a documentary about it called “Heart of Invictus.”
But they have also been shadowed for another project that will be much juicier, we’re told. The cameras have been allowed behind the scenes at their home in Montecito, Calif., and joined the Sussexes on their trip to NYC last September, as we previously revealed.
“I think it’s fair to say that Netflix is getting its pound of flesh,” said a highly placed Hollywood insider.
It’s not yet known what will be included in the documentary, but in the time the Sussexes have been living in California, there has been a heap of headlines about the breakdown in their relationship with the royal family.
Last month, Harry, 37, and Markle, 40, flew to see the Queen ahead of her 96th birthday at Windsor Castle en route to the Netherlands, where Harry said his grandmother was in great spirits — and was making sure she was being looked after.
The Sussexes have also announced they will be taking their children, Archie, 3, and baby Lilibet — whose first birthday is June 4 — to London for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations next month.
However, they will not be joining senior members of the family, including Prince Charles, Prince William and Kate Middleton, on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, the palace confirmed.
Netflix declined to comment, and reps for the Sussexes were unavailable for comment.
The show, which was announced last year, is one of several projects being dropped by the streaming giant, which last month revealed a sharp fall in subscribers and warned millions more are set to quit the service.
Archewell Productions, the company formed by the Sussexes, announced last year that Meghan would be an executive producer of “Pearl,” joined by Sir Elton John’s husband, David Furnish.u
The series was planned to center on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl, who is inspired by influential women from history.